- To assist residents with their night time routine, helping them get ready for bed and settle down for the night. Providing a high standard of personal care including oral care.
- To serve supper and drinks and promote good hydration throughout the night. To assist with the promotion of additional calories for those residents who need nutritional support and maintaining dietary requirements for residents as per their care plan.
- To administer medication to residents, if qualified to do so, and maintain accurate administration records.
- Carry out regular checks on residents ensuring all residents are clean and comfortable throughout the night. Incontinent residents must be checked more regularly. Offering residents drinks throughout the night when they are awake.
- Carry out regular checks on the building with special reference to fire prevention and security throughout the night.
- Answer alarms as quickly as practicable and give residents any support, assistance and comfort they may require.
- Undertake domestic duties in communal areas ie cleaning of chairs and tables, floors, paintwork, laundry, emptying and cleaning commodes when used, the deep clean of communal toilets and vegetable preparation,.
- If working on the units, to ensure the ironing is completed and hung up or placed in baskets, ready for delivery to rooms when residents are awake.
- Assist residents who need help bathing, dressing, oral care and toileting and getting out of bed as required on a morning.
- Ensure all residents are checked before leaving shift and any that are awake or needing assistance with continence receive this prior to day staff taking over.
- Read care plans for any additional information on residents and write accurate detailed progress notes, ensure any accident or incident is reported factually, and a comprehensive handover is completed with oncoming staff.
- To maintain your own professional competency by attending training courses and information sessions as directed by the Registered Manager or Deputy Night Manager.
- To be familiar with all emergency procedures including the hospital escort procedure and to understand that hospital escorts are part of the role of night care worker.
At Springfield Healthcare, our main priority is the welfare and wellbeing of our residents and staff. Therefore, we require all our new staff to confirm that they have either had Covid-19 vaccine, or they are willing to receive it prior to start of the employment with us. There will be a requirement to sign a consent form to this effect at the point of a job interview.