General Manager / Deputy Manager
The Chocolate Works Care Village
Purpose of Role
To plan, implement and supervise nursing care. To be physically involved in the nursing care of the residents and to meet all service user individual needs, either personally or through delegation. To take responsibility for, and effectively supervise the day-to-day running of the Care Village in the absence of the General Manager and Deputy Manager and ensure that the care is of a high standard at all times.
- To be aware of each resident’s social and medical needs
- To be the named nurse for a specific number of service users. To take responsibility for those care plans by assessing, implementing and evaluating each service users medical, psychological and social needs on a regular basis.
- Writing and implementing care plans and records in a person centred holistic way, involving both the resident and the family members
- To maintain and store all service users care plans and associated records as per Company Policy and Procedure, NMC guidance and the Data Protection Act 1998.
- Carrying out routine investigations and care procedures, such as administrating medication, and taking patient samples, pulses, temperatures and blood pressures.
- Monitoring and recording a patient’s condition and acting accordingly on any changes in condition
- Making ethical decisions related to residents
- Dealing with emergencies
- Providing information, emotional support and reassurance to residents and relatives.
- To lead and supervise a team of care workers in carrying out their roles
- Undertake supervision sessions to staff on a regular basis in accordance with Company Policy and Procedures.
- To carry out staff appraisals in line with Company Policy and Procedures
- To mentor, coach and develop junior staff.
- Ensure that the staff allocation sheet for shift is completed in full and offers the correct skill mix to meet the needs of the residents.
- To undertake drugs rounds at prescribed times – ensuring sufficient drugs are available for the following 24 hours
- To ensure that controlled drugs are checked by and administered by 2 appropriately trained members of staff, one of whom must be a 1st level nurse.
- To complete medical administration records (MAR) correctly.
- To report and record all complaints, accidents, happenings and untoward incidents to the Deputy Manager or General Manger as per Company Policy and Procedure.
- To ensure all recording charts, when in use, are kept up to date. In particular food and fluid records and other daily observations.
- To deal with short-notice absences as and when required
- To help to promote a better quality of life for the residents by encouraging them to join in activities and in general conversation, with the assistance of the care staff.
- To take charge of the Care Village in the absence of the General Manager and Deputy manager.
- Maintain a good professional working relationship with external multi-disciplinary teams such as GPs and social workers
- To work as part of the wider multi-disciplinary team within the home, liaising with physios, OTs, clinical leads and other health professionals.
- To undertake any training necessary for the completion of your duties.
- To attend staff and other meetings as requested.
- To undertake any other appropriate duties as and when required
- To abide by all company Policies and Procedures in accordance with the Employee Handbook.
Health & Safety
- Ensure that statutory health and safety standards are adhered to and by no act or omission is any resident, staff member, yourself, or another put at risk.
- Maintain and support the standards for infection prevention and control in line with agreed guidelines.
- Ensure that any damage to equipment, furniture, fittings etc. is reported immediately to management.
- Ensure that all resident’s personal belongings, company property and facilities are treated with respect.
- Ensure that all company policies and procedures are read, understood and adhered to.
- Support a safe working practice in the home.
- Report any unsafe working practice in the Care Village.
- Participate in staff supervision and appraisal
- Promote a positive personal/professional profile within the local community, ensuring the good reputation of the Care Village at all times
- Ensuring the security of the Care Village is maintained at all times
- Adhering to all company policies and procedures
- Carrying out any additional tasks that may be reasonably assigned to you
This job description indicates only the main duties and responsibilities of the post, it is not intended as an exhaustive list
Qualifications and Knowledge
- Registered General Nurse or Registered Mental Health Nurse
- NMC Registration
- Aware of accountability of own role and other roles in a nurse-led service
- Previous experience of working a Care Village environment
- Ability to be flexible to the needs of the company.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to keep clear and concise records
- Ability to deliver a high standard of care
- Ability to communicate difficult messages to residents and relatives
- Good conflict management skills
- Computer literate
- Ability to prioritise workload
- Ability to be calm under pressure and use own initiative
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Excellent organisational skills
- Excellent attention to detail skills
- Ability to participate in meetings and communicate information effectively
- Tolerance and understanding
- Self-directed practitioner
- Highly motivated
- Ability to work across boundaries
- Flexible and adapts to new situations
- Smart personal appearance
- Ability to travel to other locations on occasions (e.g. training/development/emergency cover purposes)
Adult 'Social Care'