Responsible to the person in charge allocated to the area
Deputy Manager and General Manager
Purpose of the position
- To provide a high standard of resident care in the Care Village, promoting dignity, privacy, choice, the rights of the individual and a person centred ethos.
- To ensure the wants and needs of residents are met to the best of your ability and create a warm friendly atmosphere, putting the residents first in all aspects of care delivery.
- To help residents achieve their personal potential and to be emotionally, spiritually and physically cared for to a high quality standard.
- To support residents to live in a communal environment that is well maintained, clean and attractive.
- Contributing to the safeguarding of adults by ensuring you are aware of your role in relation to the home’s safeguarding adults policy, taking steps to protect residents from any form of abuse or neglect and use appropriate reporting mechanisms to inform the General Manager of any concerns
Principle responsibilities – day to day
- To assist residents with all aspects of residents’ daily living. Providing a high standard of personal care and oral care, supporting suitable nutrition and hydration, and giving assistance as and when required.
- To serve food and drinks and promote good hydration throughout the shift. To assist with the promotion of additional calories for those residents who need nutritional support and maintaining dietary requirements for residents as per their care plan.
- Carry out regular checks on residents ensuring all residents are clean and comfortable, and their own level of personal appearance is maintained. To assist residents who need additional support with moving, pressure relief or incontinence. To ensure residents are cared for in all health aspects, including pressure care, personal grooming, health conditions, skin integrity etc.
- To ensure residents remain stimulated, are encouraged and assisted to join in activities, can access services such as chiropodists, hairdressers etc. To assist with trips out of the home, and into the community as and when required.
- Answer alarms as quickly as practicable and give residents any support, assistance and comfort they may require.
- Undertake daily domestic duties in communal areas – cleaning of chairs and tables, maintaining tidy bedrooms, emptying and cleaning commodes when used, the general cleaning of communal toilets and baths when required.
- Assist residents who need help bathing, or showering.
- Before leaving shift, ensure all residents are checked and that any who need assistance with continence receive this prior to next staff taking over.
- Read care plans and notes for information on residents and ensure you understand how to care for a resident properly. Write accurate detailed progress notes, ensure any accident or incident is reported factually, and a comprehensive handover is completed with oncoming staff.
- To maintain your own professional competency by attending training courses and information sessions as directed by the General Manager, Deputy Manager or Trainer.
- To be familiar with all emergency procedures, including the hospital escort procedure, and to understand that hospital escort is part of the role of care worker.
Place of work
The care assistants’ place of work is The Chocolate Works Care Village however if required, you may be asked to accompany a resident to any local hospital.
You may be required to travel to other areas for the purposes of training and development.
Health and Safety
- To ensure that statutory health and safety standards are adhered to and by no act or omission is any resident, staff member, yourself, or another put at risk.
- To ensure that all chemicals used for cleaning and disinfecting are used as per their instructions and stored safely.
- To ensure that any damage to equipment, furniture, fittings etc is reported immediately to management.
- To ensure that all residents personal belongings, company property and facilities are treated with respect.
- To ensure that all company policies and procedures are read, understood and adhered to.
- To support a safe working practice in the home
- To ensure that all stocks of equipment and facilities are maintained, e.g. towels, flannels, toilet rolls, wipes, etc
- Carrying out any additional tasks that may reasonably be assigned to you.
This job description indicates only the main duties and responsibilities of the post. It is not intended as an exhaustive list.